From the Girl Who Dreams About Her Future Children Before Her Career

In a society where having a bachelor's degree and becoming successful in your occupation is pushed down your throat, it almost feels wrong to want something else than that lifestyle. The majority of American's have a job and are all focused on a few specific ideas: work in order to become higher up in their occupation and receiving a big paycheck. But what if you're like me and have dreams that don't necessarily line up with societal norms?

As a woman in 2017, I have been told and taught, mainly by my college professors, to do something that empowers me and makes me feel more like a woman. I'm supposed to get a college degree and aim to achieve high. I should be dreaming of becoming a successful woman in society and want to be at the exact same levels as men in my job field. I should be excited to teach children, the future of our society, and fight for my rights as an educator, all while joining the Teacher's Union. I'm supposed to be excited to use my knowledge that I've learned in my classes and field experiences in my own classroom someday. But if I'm being completely honest, I'm really not that excited.

What I am excited for is to be a wife. I can't wait to be able to have a husband to give myself to. I want to be able to cook, clean, grocery shop, and have household essentials done by the time he gets home from work. I want to be able to spend weekends working outside in the backyard on typical yard work with him, go to church on Sunday's and travel around the city with him.

More than that, I cannot wait to be a mom. I want so bad to be able to be a stay-at-home mom, something society tells me isn't "empowering". I love the idea of using my degree to benefit my own children before they start school. I don't want to put my children in day care, because I believe raising the children is my husband and my job. Joining MOPS or other young mother's groups is great to get other support from other mom's living similar lifestyles. Feeding my kids lunch, putting them down for a nap, cleaning a little bit, afternoon crafts/play time, then dinner prep all before my husband gets home from work sounds wonderful.

Now, not everyday is going to be sunshine and daisies. There are going to be days where I wish I was working or had the kids enrolled in day care. I might not be able to use the bathroom for hours on end, I may have to clean up sticky messes, and I may have to put a lot of little hineys in time-out, but it all is a part of the "mommy job description".

At the end of the day, when all I want to do is relax, nothing will be more comforting than to see my husband walk through the door, with a loving smile. After kids are fed and off to bed, hopefully, we'll be able to recap about each other's day. Maybe we'll pray, maybe we'll just talk, but either way, in that moment, I'll remember why God chose me, out of all people, to live this lifestyle. My vocation will all make sense.

Being a wife and mom will not be an easy task. But because of the graces God will give me someday, he's going to help me get through another day, every single day. By turning down my true vocation for a piece of paper, I'm turning away opportunities to grow as a woman of Christ.

I'm not saying I'm not finishing my degree. That would be just silly. Sure, most education majors imagine using their skills for their future students, and I'm not saying I don't. But I know about half of the time, I'm pushing myself to continue one more lesson plan, one more presentation, or one more boring lecture, knowing that my children will benefit from those exact moments.

Although this is something I'm passionate about, there's no need to rush this. All good things come with time and to those who are patient. God will only put me in this situation until he truly feels I am ready to take on these roles as a wife and mother. If it means preparing myself a little longer for my husband and children, then I'm all for it. Because in the end, this is how I will empower myself as a woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Gift

Spiritual Numbness

Adulthood and New Transitions